Friday, 14 February 2014

Culture Project - WEEK ONE

Day One; initial research, mood board



Today didn't start out very well as I was struggling to think of two cultures that were interesting enough to compare against each other, I didn't want to choose something too obvious or boring. I was also worried I would choose something that I wasn't actually really interested in. 

I knew straight away that architecture was something I wanted to explore and so I have chosen to look at the crazy place that is Dubai. Over the Christmas holidays I went to Dubai with my mum, I was completely blown away when I got there as it is just a crazy and buzzy place. It is so over the top and vast that you feel like it isn't real. Everything is new and every other car was either a porsche, land rover, rolls royce or some other over the top sports car. The skyscrapers are all so overwhelming and huge and the city scape is just incredible  I love all the reflective surfaces and windows that you are surrounded by. The feeling you get when you're there is something I want to try and get across in my designs for this project.

Once I had chosen Dubai, I was struggling with what other culture to choose, it had to be something completely different that was more natural and so I eventually decided to look in to African tribal culture. I think that this contrasts well with Dubai because African tribes are all about family, nature and the beauty of the natural world. African tribes are also full of colour whereas Dubai mostly consists of mirrors, and silver and chrome. I stick to a fairly monochrome colour scheme most of the time so the African tribes will hopefully help me to use more colour in my work this time so that I have more of a variety. 

Day Two; trip to British Museum and Saatchi Gallery







Today we went to the British Museum and the Saatchi Gallery. Getting there was a bit of a nightmare due to the tube strike however I found the British Museum really helpful as it had a whole floor on African art and culture. This has given me more research for the african culture side to my project and will help me to develop my ideas further. 

Day Three; development of research

I have decided to look at both themes separately and then bring them together later on during the project. Today I have been looking in to the African tribal part of this project by drawing and researching more in to it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment