Day One; working on the stand with garments, cutting garments in to component parts, styling, photography
Today we had to bring in old clothes that we had sourced over Christmas so that we could style them on the stand. At first I struggled with this because I just couldn't get my brain to look at the clothes in a different way to what they were. However it got easier as I got in to it.
We then started cutting up the garments in to their component parts so that we could work with them on the stand in different ways. This project is all about deconstructing clothes to make them more visually exciting and interesting to look at. We were manipulating things differently, for example turn a pair of trousers in to a top, use a pocket for a detail on the sleeve, a zip for detailing on a shoulder etc. I found this really enjoyable because it was easier to use the cut up pieces of garments rather than the whole thing, we were told to focus on detailing and not just on a whole piece on the stand. This has helped to give me inspiration for coming up with some ideas that could help influence me in the creation of my final piece.
I think that some of the garments I brought were more successful than others as they were easier to work with. I think that for my final piece I want to source a few more things as I now know what works best for me and what doesn't.
Day Two; creating fashion muses
Today we were creating fashion muses where we used magazines and zoomed in details of the clothing we bought in yesterday to create interesting collages that would also help to inspire us for our final design piece. At first I found this a bit tricky as I wasn't thinking abstract enough and the muses just looked really plain and boring. I sometimes am not confident in my work so tend to play it safe however when I let go a bit I think my final muses were much more successful than the ones I did at the start of the day.
I found the muses have been much more successful in the development of my final idea/ outcome as they have given me more inspiration than the stand work we did on the first day of this week. My muses are all about texture and minimalist colours. When I got home I worked in to my muses with stitching to add some depth and idea that there will be lots of interesting textures and detailing.
Day Three; design ideas, working on the stand, preparing for final piece
On the last day this week, I have started to do some sketches to help me get a clear idea of what sort of thing I want to create for my final piece. For my final piece I want to make a cape out of trousers and shorts, there will be lots of different types of fabric and textures in it. This idea has developed mainly from the muses I created, they are all using quite dark colours with a sort of british heritage feel and so this is what I want to get across in my final outcome.
I think the first week of this project has been really enjoyable and definitely my favourite project so far. So far I have got good feedback from the tutors and pupils which has given me more confidence in my designing. Before this week I was starting to think that maybe I was better at fashion design over fashion promotion and I think this is becoming clearer this week as I am more confident with drawing and the development of ideas. I think that focusing more on design will help my work improve massively as it gives me a bit more room to be creative in the clothing etc. I think I will find it slightly more challenging but in the long run I think the work I produce will be better because of this.
No comments:
Post a Comment