Digital Print Week
Day One; learning the basics of photoshop, repeat patterns
Today was all about learning the basics of photoshop so that by the end of the week we are able to create a digital print that relates to our family history. I have found today quite easy as I have used photoshop before so I had some idea of how to use some of the tools, however it was nice to be able to learn some new things so that I could use it better. I've always been interested in photoshop and editing but I haven't really known how to use it properly so now I feel a bit more confident on how to use it.
We started by do simple repeat prints with a dot. At first we just started with one dot and then built up on this by introducing different coloured dots and different positioning to give it different effects and make it look a bit more exciting.
Once we had finished doing the repeat prints with a dot, we made a check repeat pattern and then expanded on this further by adding more shapes such as diamonds and circles. We also started experimenting with more colours and changing the opacity of certain shapes so that it gives a different effect to the overall print. It means you can see some of the shape that is underneath the one that is on top.
We then started playing around with images of flowers and cut them out from the back ground so that we could repeat them in a pattern. We changed the colour and layout of the flowers and then placed them over one of earlier dot repeat patterns to make more layers and a more interesting print. We were then showed how to turn one of the flower shapes in to a paintbrush tool so that we could repeat the shape over and over in different colours and textures.
This day went well and I think my basic prints were fairly successful. It was good to learn how to use photoshop properly and so far I am looking forward to the rest of the week.
We have been asked to start thinking about what sort of print we would like to make that links with our family history. I think I want my print to incorporate something that resembles my old house; it holds many memories because it is where I spent my childhood and it was a big step to leave it.
Day Two; more photoshop skills, editing images, placing prints on to garments
Today we learned how to create a pattern and put it on to clothing. We started with an image of a cloud and edited it it by making the background one plain colour and changing the positioning of the clouds. I then added roses over the clouds and started putting the pattern on to garments and then playing around with different effects to change the colours and look of the overall pattern on the dress.
I really enjoyed making the patterns to place on the dresses and editing them to get different colours and effects. They look more realistic and exciting on a garment than just the basic pattern.
We then began starting on work for our own final digital prints. On our self-directed study day I started doing some research in to my family history and decided I wanted it to be based around ideas from my old house. I started by finding some images of the exterior and then doing some drawings of it and the details within the brick work and surroundings. I then scanned some of these in to photoshop and started playing around with these rough ideas to see how they would look on a garment.
I really liked some of the colours of these prints and thought they looked really effective on the garment. For friday I am going to develop my print further so that it starts to look more original and interesting.








No comments:
Post a Comment