Friday, 29 November 2013

Fashion Meets Product - WEEK ONE

Day One; Paul Smith Exhibition at the Design Museum

Today we went to the Paul Smith Exhibition at the Design Museum for the introduction to the latest project. For the next two weeks we were given the opportunity to pick from a range of projects so I chose Fashion Meets Product. I chose this project because I like to consider myself a more promotion type student but this would give me the opportunity to do something a bit different and add some more variety to my sketchbook. 

The Paul Smith Exhibition was really interesting and I really enjoyed it. There were lots of different little rooms showing Paul's work and his mind and inspiration behind a lot of his projects. It showed how his designs from his fashion have been included in everyday objects and products such as radios, water bottles, cars, skis, etc. It was a good introduction to the project as it shows how fashion can be used in other ways and incorporated in to different products other than just clothes and accessories. My favourite product at the exhibition was the old fashioned Mini car that has been painted with Paul Smith's trademark stripes. 

If i were to compare my work with Paul's I would say it is extremely different as he uses a lot of colour in his work, in fact colour is so important to his work and he loves using it in all his designs. Whereas I prefer to work with more minimal colours and a greyscale colour scheme. My work is also very organised and I like to keep things neat whereas the environment Paul Smith works in is extremely different. However the exhibition has showed me that sometimes it is good to let go a bit because it can help you be more creative and come up with some new interesting ideas.

I'm now really looking forward to getting started with the project in the next few days. 






Day Two; collaboration, fashion designer and product designer, initial idea development


No comments:

Post a Comment